Monday, July 27, 2009

Tyndale House

While still jet-lagged and disoriented from our recent travels, I went to the Tyndale House library for the first time today. I saw my study desk where I will spend virtually every day for the next 4 1/2 months and was very pleased. Though obviously a clear down-size from my office at RTS, it is cozy, quiet, and has a nice view out the window. I also met a number of the other scholars studying here from all over the world and had many interesting conversations about each others research and writings interests (one of which took place in the nearby dining hall at Selwyn College at Cambridge University). In the midst of these visits, I realized again what is so stimulating about research institutes like this: scholars get to interact with peers rather than only with students. As much as I love working with students, it is refreshing from time to time to engage with academic peers where you can present your ideas with greater depth and thoroughness and benefit from insightful responses (rather than blank stares!). Research times like this are a gift.

I also had a chance to make my first pub visit last night at The Anchor, a historic little pub located on the river and (apparently) a former hangout of the guys from Pink Floyd. A nice selection of Ales, with some new options I have not had before (I particularly like the locally brewed 1229). The inside was standard wood paneling, cozy tables, and fireplaces, and populated largely by university students. However, as much as I liked it, it lacked the charm and simplicity of the pubs of Edinburgh, particularly the Jolly Judge off of the Royal Mile. Oh, those were the days...

3 comments:

  1. Put the iPhone in airport mode and get us an actual shot of your nook! There are wannabe scholars out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paper on the temple in Revelation was off the hook, you know you learned a lot from that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc Kruger,
    You might as well have inserted my name when you talked of blank stares. I didn't know manuscripts were used for anything other than movies, much less something names oxypaprinkas. brent

    ReplyDelete