Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Average Day

Given that many of our blogs have been about excursions to castles, cathedrals, and English estates, one might wonder what my average day looks like.   So, I thought I would blog a bit about that.   Although we take some day trips on the weekends, during the week I am busy writing a book on the origins of the New Testament canon (due out with Crossway).  Tyndale House has one of the best libraries in the world for biblical studies, so I spend most of my time there.   My average day includes arriving at my desk (see pictures below) early in the morning and leaving at dinner time, and a number of nights each week I go back in after the kids are in bed.    The research and writing has been intense and exhaustive, but at the same time exhilarating and refreshing. Back in the states I have so little time for extended blocks of writing, so this feels like a real privilege.   At the same time, I regularly tell people that the hardest part of my job is writing.   It is the most difficult thing I do.  But, progress has been steady and I am confident that God will bless my efforts here.   So far, my first chapter is nearing 30,000 words.  Given that the whole book is only supposed to be 100,000, it looks like I have some cutting to do!   For the sake of Jake Hunt (!) I have included a picture below of my desk at Tyndale House.  At least I have a window...


5 comments:

  1. And you even have a radiator under your desk to keep your knees warm in the winter! I've almost forgotten what those are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that wasn't so hard, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! i love it when mike blogs! more more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that your prestigous Lilly Theological Research Grant is funding more than day trips and other tourist activities. ;)

    I note also your average-day attire. Cambridge not as warm as Charlotte, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the Lilly folks would be proud. And its been quite cool here lately, but warmer today. A bit of a relief from the North Carolina heat, though.

    ReplyDelete